Saturday, February 12, 2011

Amazing Grace, How Sweet The Sound

This weeks readings were "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh and "Amazing Grace" by Jonathan Kozol.

REFLECTION:

I read Amazing Grace first and the first thing I thought about was my trip to the Dominican Republic. The first time I went was in 2006 and then again in 2010. I go with a church group on a mission trip and we split into multiple teams: Two Building teams, Medical team, Teaching Team, Food Team, Evangelism Team, and Water Filtration Building team. This article reminds me so much of this trip. In the article by Kozol, their sanctuary is at this church St. Ann's Church. All around there is violence, drugs, prostitution, and hardships, but at this church there is relief, freedom and redemption.

At the D.R., my team was a building team and we worked at Elsa's church in a very poor community. The church was fenced in and once we were in we weren't allowed to leave because we were told it was very unsafe outside of the church area. People would come and once inside the gates found safety. It seemed as though a way to escape from the reality of their life around them.


I believe St. Ann's church also serves the people in a way that nothing else can. It gives them hope. Living in such hard conditions, they have nothing else to rely on but their faith.
(St. Ann's Church)

It's also funny that in the book Amazing Grace, this little boy names Cliffie gives her a tour and wants to show him EVERYTHING that is around. Cliffie is so positive even during the most negative areas. In the Dominican, I had a little boy name Bertico that became my best friend and wanted to show me everything that there was where he lived. He was living in a little house probably as big as a decently size bathroom on the property of the church. He had to stay in the house all day while his mother went to work. Someone would unlock the house and let him out and he would then take me all around the property telling me stories and take pictures with me.



The patch that's on his head is because kids threw a rock at his head. It's amazing to see the conditions that they live in yet they have so much hope and happiness as children. I think that's exactly how Cliffie felt. He saw things that might disturb others (like Cliffie saying he saw someone get shot in the head) yet it didn't affect him at all. That really struck me.


With the second article, by Peggy McIntosh, I did a lot of thinking. I am very privileged as a white person, yet I don't usually realize it. I tried to find an image that properly explained how "whites" are perceived as being "better" and this is what I found:

This to me seems accurate in that we might not always assume the worst of a White Person because they are viewed as the upper class, yet this white man is going to get away with being the "gunman" cause he's white! This article made me really think about how I'm really not concerned about not being able to get an education, find a job, live in a nice neighborhood because it's always just happened to me. Is it because I'm white, privileged, or blessed? This article wasn't as interesting as the Amazing Grace one was for me, I could relate to things that I have seen more but this article certainly made me think of how easy life may have been made more me all because of my skin color and where I was born and raised.

In class, I'd like to discuss what can be done about Mott Haven. The things that are happening I feel like can be changed so easily. Who are we to blame? How can this be fixed? It's also amazing that there is such a place in America. If there is such a place there has go be more in America. How can this cycle of poverty and drug addiction be broken. 

10 comments:

  1. I am not the most computer savvy person so figuring out this blog thing is not easy for me! Your blog really inspired me...it is very entertaining and easy to stay intrigued in with your pictures as well as your cartoon image. That image is really great. I have a hard time understanding racism and prejudice because I do feel that all cultures and all races have both good and bad people, or just people that make good and/or bad decisions. Thanks for your blog! I have some work to do to keep up lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to say that your blog is very unique! I love how you related the article "Amazing Grace" to your mission trip to the Dominican Republic. Your friend is such a cute little boy! It's good that you built up a really good friendship with someone while you were there and he was able to show you around. Do you still keep in touch with him? How did you feel when they told once you entered the church you couldn't leave because of the danger outside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an extremely interesting post. That must have been one heck of an experience. The pictures make it more real.
    You've got a good setup here, it made it very easy to read. Small paragraphs and the pictures really improved this.
    I agree, White Privilege wasn't as interesting, but I think it had to be more cut and dry. Otherwise, it might not be taken as seriously if it had a more light-hearted tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience has really opened my eyes. I could not imagine sitting in my house all day waiting for someone to come unlock the door so I can go out. Nor can I imagine someone throwing rocks at me. Being a very independant person I can only see myself throwing rocks back at those who can't seem to get along. Also, I think that your illistration is perfect for how white privilege works. It's always those who are never suspected that get away with anything. It's just not fair because those who are normally accused are normally the most amazing people ever, like your friend from the D.R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so cool that you went to the Dominican Republic to help out on a mission trip. It sounds like it was a great experience and a lot of fun if you were willing to go back a second time. The blog it's self was also very cool with all the pictures you added to it. I also liked how you were able to connect the reading to something that actually happened in your life. I really enjoyed reading it and looking at all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog definitely kept me intrigued. You used the pictures so well to coincide with your writing!
    Going to the Dominican Republic must have been such an amazing and rewarding experience. You related it to the text so well!
    Also, I agree with White Privilege not being as interesting as well... I felt the same while reading it, I believe it was because it didn't have as much personal experience included.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is sick. I like the pictures... The trip sounded cool. I want to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cole! Yeah I mean people are always trying to help and there are SO many things you can do right in your backyard! This is a group from CT that goes every summer, you raise all the money yourself but there are fundraisers etc. About 90 people total go and it's just SO awesome to see how much work can be done and how thankful the people are. You make such lasting relationships and I honestly feel that I'm impacted more than they are!

    I've kind of been thinking about trying to start a group in RI to go to the DR, it would be a lot of time and energy but I think it'd be awesome to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stories and pics are great -- and I love how you inspired others with your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little late on the comment, but glad I saw your post. I've never been able to go on a missions trip but always wanted to. Your description of the church reminds me of one I went to with my cousin in California. They actually had just come back from a missions trip to Kenya and it was amazing. I cried watching the video clips and seeing the pictures of the living conditions and poverty they suffered. But I realized my tears weren't necessarily from pity or feeling bad for them, but for the joy and happiness you saw in their faces just to see the members of the church and their interaction with them. Another thing was the culture of power animation you included. It is a very accurate display, and just by being employed for Providence Walmart for over two years, I actually experienced reactions like that watching the news in the break room with people of numerous different ethnicities (other than the actual criminal being present).

    ReplyDelete